Pages

Friday, January 13, 2017

My first "snow" day!

I am off today, along with just about every teacher within 30 miles.  We were expecting a big ice storm, so most schools actually called school off before the school day was even over yesterday.  As is turns out, we probably could have had school today, but it's nice to have a "snow" day so early in the semester.  It was 71 degrees on Wednesday!  The ground is not cold enough for the ice to accumulate currently, so it's icing over on trees, cars, grass, etc. but roads look fine from what I can see.  It's also supposed to be above freezing later today and then for the rest of the weekend, so we will have to wait to see what happens with the freezing rain that is coming down right now.

I am going to take advantage of the longer weekend by trying to get caught up on some reading for classes.  I have 3 reading classes currently.  One is reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman and the other two are reading Hate List by Jennifer Brown.  I have never read Hate List so I need to get that one read if at all possible.  I probably need to reread Unwind, but I don't know if that's going to happen this weekend or not since I also need to read Romeo and Juliet for my other 3 classes that are getting ready to start that.

This week actually went by really quickly for me, obviously even more so since we didn't have school today!  Naturally, since it was my first full week the teacher I am subbing for had duty this week.  It's not just afternoon duty like I was used to doing in Neosho, though.  This one is morning and afternoon; morning duty is 20 minutes in the commons (lunch room) and afternoon is really less than 10 minutes outside waiting for the buses to load and leave.  Let me tell you, that morning one was literally the longest 20 minutes of the whole day!  I was not sad that my week was cut a day short.  Luckily, I don't have duty again until the end of March and that will be only if I end up being there longer than initially anticipated.  I was spoiled at Neosho since I had my CT there to talk to during the 20 minutes we had duty.  Standing there alone, for 20 minutes,  in a room full of kids you don't know yet is not easy to do.

Next week should be a fairly smooth one.  We have PD all day Monday; kids are out for MLK day.  Then I have several blocks where we are in the library for work days.  Most of my planning for the week is already done.  I just need to work on a few things for the reading classes.

I did make a video to show you all my classroom and how it's currently set up, but I need to edit and upload it.  Once I get that done I will post a link to my new YouTube channel that I have set up for this blog!

Have a great "snow" day!

No comments:

Post a Comment